Full Charge Bookkeeper
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Employment Type: Part-time
Non-profit: Saint Augustine Catholic Church and School with After Care Program
Saint Augustine Catholic Church is looking for a full charge bookkeeper to start immediately
The role is for at least 32 hours per week.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Generate transactions for financial reporting as well as manage the accounting of church-wide financial assets and liabilities for the church. Must use generally accepted accounting principles
(GAAP) standards for creating, preparing and maintaining all church-related financial records in general ledger.
1. Full cycle Accounts Receivable, including preparation of monthly invoices and maintaining customer and vendor records.
2. Accounts Payable including; purchase orders and vendor records maintenance
3. Review and verify semi-monthly payroll inputs to payroll vendor and assure periodic payroll taxes are paid and appropriate reports filed
4. Prepare and/or review year-end payroll and vendor reports for tax purposes to include
1099s for required vendors.
5. Maintain required banking accounts, provide periodic and timely reconciliation reports.
6. Reconcile all balance sheet accounts; reviewing for input accuracy and prepare monthly reports and journal entries as needed.
7. Maintain employee pension and health insurance data
8. Provide analysis and cash management data to to document and justify cash inflows and outflows necessary to prioritize transactions and explain fluctuations.
9. Assist external auditors in the conducting of the annual audit.
10. Provide support for the development of the church and school's annual budget, including revenue and expense projections and design of alternative budget scenarios.
11. Attend monthly Finance Council meeting and provide regular and timely financial reports to staff, and others, as appropriate to include those designated by parish administrator.
12. Work closely with school tuition manager to ensure customer (student) accounts are maintained and postings for tuition payments are made as scheduled per family agreements.
13. Perform other related duties as may be requested by Parish Administrator of designated finance council members.
Technical Expertise: Demonstrates necessary in understanding and applying generally acceptable accounting principles (GAAP), cash flow management/reporting and budgeting principles
Computer Software: Proficient with Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Excel.
Experience with Archdiocese of Washington (ADW) accounting software ParishSOFT accounting, or similar software, a data base system used by many churches.
Attention to Detail: Consistently attends to the many small pieces which must be assembled into an organized whole; follows up on missing or out of balance items; resolves unanswered questions needed to address a problem; keeps the larger picture in mind while tending to the smallest of details.
Time Management: Uses time effectively and efficiently; values time and respects the time of others; concentrates his/her efforts on the most important priorities; can appropriately balance priorities.
Verbal and Written Communication: Is able to write and speak clearly and succinctly; clearly delivers message in a tone appropriate to the context.
Interpersonal Skills: Relevant to the completion of work; works well with people at all levels of the congregation; builds appropriate rapport; considers the impact of his/her actions on others; uses diplomacy and tact; is approachable; avoids communication triangles.
Integrity and Trust: Demonstrates the highest standards of ethics and treats financial and membership information as confidential. Is seen as trustworthy by others; practices direct, honest and transparent communication; admits mistakes; doesn't operate with hidden agendas; responds to situations with constancy and reliability.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Father Patrick A. Smith
Saint Augustine Catholic Church
1419 V St. NW
Washington, DC 20009
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Pay: $50,000.00 - $60,000.00 per year
- Monday to Friday
- Associate (Preferred)
- Bookkeeping: 3 years (Preferred)
- One location
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Work Location: One location