Essential Job Functions
- As an integral part of the Mission Advancement team the Mission Representative plans and carries out an intentional strategy of contributor engagement and solicitation, in an assigned region and/or with an assigned portfolio of prospective and active major contributors, for the purpose of establishing and managing mutually beneficial relationships that lead to joyful major and principal gifts.
- Will work with assigned team members (mentor) to strategies and develop plans to intentionally engage contributors in assigned region/portfolio.
- Will establish and cultivate relationships with contributors through email, zoom, video, and letter writing to encourage a joyful response in sharing the gospel.
- Personally, visits contributors and prospects to discover, cultivate, solicit and steward mutually beneficial major gifts using approved ministry case resources and to capture and record contributor views and opinions of the Synod’s efforts which impact giving decisions.
- Accurately records all plans, interactions, actions and the results of major gift activities in the database system for future analysis, for casting and planning.
- Models adherence to Synod policies and procedures for the performance of these duties and the expenditure of budgeted resources in carrying out these duties. Promptly submits accurate expense reports and documentation for charges incurred in the performance of these duties
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 1-year experience in Successful major gifts fund-raising preferred
- Continuing professional education and formation in the Profession of donor relations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent listening and relationship management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and foster positive mission and ministry focused relationships
- Comfortable speaking with others and making public presentations to groups of varying sizes.
- Committed to the highest level of professional ethics, accountability and transparency.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the LCMS and its various stakeholder groups.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite products
- Comfortable using CRM/donor relations software to track work effort (Blackbaud experience preferred).
- Pleasant and confident phone skills, excellent computer, written and verbal skills and detail oriented.
- Able to carry on simultaneous, sustained work in a situation defined by deadlines and multiple assignments.
- Ability to work independently with minimal immediate supervision, make business-critical decisions and protect confidential information.
- Ability and willingness to travel, up to 50% of available work time.
- Expected to encourage, coach, and professionally support other mission advocates and MADV staff to achieve higher levels of team performance.