- Reports to the Director of Production
Essential Job Functions
- Oversees the department’s business relationships with outside contractors to ensure compliance with the CAO’s office in terms of LCMS fiscal and legal policies. This includes the accurate completion of contracts, assignment sheets and purchase orders.
- Assists the managing editor of The Lutheran Witness: generates contracts for free-lancers, invoices CPH for content reimbursement, pays writers upon completion of their articles, provides writers with four complimentary copies of the issues containing their stories, and updates the digital Witness index.
- Manages LCMS-related advertising with external publications, both print and digital.
- Conducts research for projects, stories, events and information as needed to assist department efforts.
- Manages photo requests from internal and external partners.
- Coordinates schedules and travel with other offices, not least the President’s Office.
- Obtains travel tickets, makes rental car and hotel arrangements as needed and required by dept. staff
- Researches and obtains visas, press credentials and safety information for staff traveling to foreign countries.
- Prepares detailed travel packets.
- Prepares “list pulls” from constituent databases for e-blasts and print mailings sent on behalf of various ministries.
- Manages conference/convention reservations for department members and various others in the building as events require.
- Manages print-on-demand orders and royalties and prepares income reports, keeping abreast of changes in this industry and making recommendations on various options.
- Sends press releases as needed and instructed by the Director of Editorial.
- Provides transcriptions of interviews and proofing of documents as requested.
- Monitors/maintains/orders office supplies, including those for printers and fax.
- Prepares the department’s weekly calendar.
- Covers phone/email query distribution for Church Information Center, when lead takes vacation time.
- Assists in planning and packing exhibit pieces for shipping to national events like LWML, Synod Convention and the Youth Gathering.
- Provides administrative support to Directors of Editorial, Production, Web, Design and Video
- Assists other members of the department.
Education and Experience
- A four-year degree in a communications or business field is desirable, though a two-year associates degree (along with real-life experience) would suffice.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Member in good standing of an LCMS congregation.
- Proficient in the English language (vocabulary, grammar, punctuation) to handle a myriad of communication tasks, both written and oral.
- Proficient in Microsoft software: Word, Excel, Outlook.
- A facility with numbers and business/financial processes.
- Highly organized.
- A disciplined self-starter.
- Ability to multitask.
- Pleasant demeanor.
- Good listening skills.
- Excellent attendance record and dependability.