The Office of National Mission coordinates and supports domestic ministries that serve congregations and schools through the districts of Synod (Bylaw 22.214.171.124).
Youth Ministry Profile:
Youth Ministry works in partnership with districts to support and assist congregations in impacting youth and adults with a vision of hope, celebration and service in the name of Jesus Christ.
- Reports to the Director of Office of National Mission – Youth Ministry (LCMS Youth Ministry Director).
- Works closely with Youth Gathering Program Manager on matters of the LCMS Youth Gathering.
Essential Job Functions
- Develops and recommends for approval by Gathering Program Manager and LCMS Youth Ministry Director all policies and procedures for registration, hotels and shuttling.
- Consults with LCMS Youth Ministry staff on policies and procedures for exhibitor, planner, special guests, and volunteer registration.
- Directs and approves design and implementation for registration and housing programs for the Gathering.
- Works in consultation with the Gathering Communication Specialist on the development of registration materials for initial congregational mailing and follow-up communication to Primary Adult Leaders, including verification, housing selection, final information, etc.
- Supervises the work of the Registration and Arrangements Specialist in relation to Gathering registration. Is a part of the hiring process if position is vacant.
- Attends most Gathering Program planning meetings.
- Primary analyst of registration (and related) data. Provides all necessary periodical reports and the final report and evaluation of the registration and housing process.
- Develops financial assistance policies. Reviews financial assistance applications and manages the distribution of all financial assistance monies.
- Works with Senior Director, Event Planning and Procurement to:
- Obtain LCMS authorization for Gathering participant hotels and planning meetings.
- Obtain LCMS authorization for hotels contracts for other non-Gathering events.
- Confirms dates, contracts, accommodations (hotel, car rentals, catering), and staff travel arrangements, and for Gathering/Youth Ministry planning meetings and events.
- Is responsible for management of hotel contract negotiations process and serves as a primary liaison with the provider of hotel contract negotiation services.
- Schedules and prepares all pre-Gathering conference briefings with all Gathering hotel property staffs.
- Manages efficient process for assignment of hotels for all congregations, followed by appropriate notification and follow-up with hotels and congregations.
- Assigning, in consultation with the Gathering Program Manager and LCMS Youth Ministry Director, all special housing for the Gathering, e.g. program teams, special guests, exhibitors, program leaders, speakers, musicians, entertainers, Gathering staff, volunteers, etc.
- Is responsible for closing all accounts with the hotel properties that are to be paid by the Gathering and obtains all designated rebates from Gathering hotels and oversee their deposit.
- Responsible for all hotel arrangements for planning meetings:
- Works with hotel community to find hotel with available dates and appropriate rate.
- Develops and submits rooming list to hotel
- Arranges for all food and beverage service
- Reconciles final bill to process for payment
- Secures volunteers airline tickets for all Gathering and Youth Ministry-related events. Is the point of contact for any third-party travel agent.
- Gathering program team members (for Gathering and all planning meetings)
- District Coordinators for Coordinator training
- Gathering Volunteers (as needed)
- National Lutheran Youth Worker’s Conference planners and speakers
- YouthLead Leadership Training and Executive Team
- Other Events
- Works with the LCMS Youth Ministry Director to develop the Youth Gathering budget. Manages the Gathering budget, e.g. development of appropriate revenue and expense accounts, tracking of program team expenses and preparation of financial reports for gathering teams and managers.
- Initiates contracting processes, reviews contracts in consultation with the LCMS Youth Ministry Director and Gathering Program Manager, submits for internal review (risk management, legal, etc.) and approval for signing by responsible parties. Oversees program contracting process, including program speakers, musicians, vendors, etc.
- Responsible for the shuttle services of the Gathering:
- Secures required number of proposals
- Conducts interviews of companies
- Works with shuttling team to make final selection
- Consults with Youth Gathering staff and transportation team/provider on shuttle process (hotels, Servant Event, etc.).
- Secures pertinent tax exempt forms relative to Gathering registration and housing.
- As requested, reviews proposed activities with Gathering Program Manager and LCMS Risk Management.
- In conjunction with other staff, coordinates appropriate grant proposals and prepares required reports. Coordinates granting of funds to entities from LCMS Youth Ministry.
- Coordinates meeting arrangements for various Youth Ministry task forces and committees including meeting facilities and lodging.
Education and Experience
- Is a positive witness to Jesus Christ and an active member of a Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod congregation, supports Synod's constitution, by-laws and policies, is faithful to the Holy Scriptures and the Lutheran Confessions and familiar with the structure, polity, organization, and procedures of the Synod.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field, Business Administration, Pre-Law, Hospitality Management, Project Management, etc.
- Minimum 5 years of practical experience in business management, customer service, organizational leadership, public relations or related field.
- Desirable to be a Certified Meeting Planner (CMP), or Certified Special Event Professional (CSEP), or other similar certification or degree, or interest in becoming one.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Demonstrates understanding of and commitment to the mission of the church in today's world and demonstrates commitment to the whole church and its mission as it relates to Synod.
- Demonstrates leadership abilities with a personality adaptive to change.
- Is a team player who is also able to complete tasks independently.
- Demonstrated ability in developing and fostering interpersonal relationships.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Knowledge of administrative/management techniques.
- Experience working in on-line databases, or aptitude to learn on-line programs for data management.
- Knowledge of the Synod, preferably with experience and service to a Synod-related entity and/or experience in working with vendors or hospitality industry entities.
- Organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to manage multiple teams of people.
- Willingness to review and adapt from previous policies and processes.
- Ability to relate to professional church workers and lay persons involved in youth ministry.
- Sensitive to the needs of youth in a contemporary world and to the needs of parishes in youth ministry
- Knowledge of Biblical theology and Lutheran doctrine and its practical application.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook and familiarity with Adobe Acrobat.
- Ability and willingness to travel as required
- Supervises the work of the Registration and Arrangements Specialist, related to Gathering registration.