Full Job Description
Description: The Director of Ministry Outreach Center is a full-time, exempt position of Denver Rescue Mission (DRM) which must agree with and abide by our Statement of Faith and Ministry Principles. In addition, all employees must comply with policies as summarized in the DRM Employee Handbook.
Who are we?*
Denver Rescue Mission serves people experiencing homelessness and poverty through emergency services, rehabilitation, transitional programs, permanent housing assistance, and community outreach. Since 1892, we’ve been changing lives in the name of Christ by meeting people at their physical and spiritual points of need to return them to society as productive, self-sufficient citizens.
Every position at the Denver Rescue Mission is an opportunity for ministry and is vital for fulfilling our mission. As a faith-based, charitable non-profit organization, we are committed to providing emergency services and rehabilitative and transitional programs to individuals and families experiencing poverty and homelessness in our community.
Life at Denver Rescue Mission*
Here at the Denver Rescue Mission, we treat our employees like family. We often refer to each other as the DRM Family. People who work at the Mission appreciate the opportunity to share the love of Jesus Christ with other employees, guests, and program participants. We have a weekly prayer list, fellowship events, and many other opportunities to share our faith.
- *Hiring Range*: $56,800 - $71,000 annually, based on qualifications and experience.
Benefits: Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits generous vacation, sick time, and holiday pay tuition reimbursement and child adoption benefits available employer-paid term life insurance and long-term disability health savings account and flexible spending account401(k) with 5% company match. Requirements:
The Director of Ministry Outreach Center reports directly to the Sr Director of Operations. The Director of Ministry Outreach Center is responsible for the direction and oversight of the Ministry Outreach Center, including tracking, receiving, storage, and distribution of Gift-in-Kind donations, administration of Client Services operations, the law of Work Readiness participants, and oversight of the Ministry Outreach Center’s Vehicle Donation Program, and fleet management.
- Oversee and coach Ministry Outreach Center staff in systems design, process management, and leadership development.
- Partner with critical Operations and Accounting staff in developing, implementing, and maintaining an electronic inventory management system.
- Oversee the daily scheduling and the monthly calendar of all pickups and deliveries with the assistance of the Receiving and Distribution Specialist.
- Facilitate phone and email requests from staff, donors, and other agencies.
- Define quality standards for donations that are used internally and those distributed to commodity assistance partners.
- Oversee receiving and processing donations to ensure waste minimization, efficient evaluation, and maximized gift-in-kind value. Use “First In, First Out” practices to receive and distribute gifts.
- Ensure all processed donations are weighed, recorded, and distributed correctly for gift-in-kind purposes.
- Maintain cleanliness and orderliness throughout the warehouse to ensure safety.
- Prepare and monitor the Ministry Outreach Center budget.
- Generate Purchase Orders for necessary equipment and supplies.
- Create and enforce standard work procedures in all areas of the warehouse.
- Perform equipment safety checks on machinery, forklifts, etc.
- Review gift-in-kind forms completed by all operations staff weekly to ensure that documents are filled out correctly, proper gift-in-kind codes are applied, quantity is accurate, and records are submitted to the Accounting Department.
- Report textile gift-in-kind donations through Scribe to share the impact of giving in Denver Rescue Mission’s newsletter.
- Meet or exceed monthly and yearly gift-in-kind goals for any area of responsibility. The yearly budget is 13 million.
- Be the primary point of contact for other Denver Rescue Mission departments regarding individual gift-in-kind donations or questions.
- Communicate appropriately with the Vice President of Operations when challenges arise, or monthly gift-in-kind goals are not met.
Supervise and Oversee Client Services Operation
- Supervise and coach Client Services Coordinator.
- Drive continuous improvement in Client Services operations.
- Assess ongoing client needs and trends to further program development.
- Work with Client Services Coordinator to identify and evaluate partner agencies to which clients can be referred when Denver Rescue Mission programming is not a good fit.
- Ensure that Client Services effectively and efficiently provides emergency, point-of-need services to the homeless and working poor through food, clothing, hygiene, and other essential items.
Supervise the Warehouse Food Coordinator
- Coordinate with the Warehouse Food Coordinator regarding food inventory control and distribution.
- Operate a food ordering and inventory system for purchased, donated food and foodservice supplies to enable a dependable supply chain and maximum efficiency for the kitchens.
- Provide oversight in maintaining custodial supply pars
- Minimize waste of donated and purchased food and foodservice supplies.
- Maximize inventory turnover at the Warehouse for food and foodservice supplies.
Supervise and Oversee Vehicle Donation Program
- Supervise and coach Vehicle Program Supervisor in systems design, process management, and leadership development.
- Promote synergy and teamwork between Vehicle Program Supervisor and fleet mechanics.
- Ensure Vehicle Program Supervisor meets or exceeds goals in vehicle donation, revenue, and gifting.
- Prepare and monitor Vehicle Program budget, providing accountability for the Vehicle Program Supervisor in the day-to-day management and administration of the budget ($575,000 in revenue and $375,000 in expenses).
Work Readiness Supervision
- Work alongside New Life Program participants, developing soft skills and providing feedback.
- Monitor Work Readiness attendance and follow corrective action process.
- Communicate regularly with program staff about participants’ growth and concerns.
Safety and Liability
- Manage vehicle claims under the supervision of the Vice President of Operations.
- Oversee response to all fleet vehicle accidents, which entails performing investigations as necessary and ensuring appropriate files and documentation regarding vehicle accidents are provided.
- Oversee negotiations with insurance partners and claimants to resolve vehicle accident claims.
- Oversee the response to all potential general liability incidents at the Ministry Outreach Center involving clients, outside guests, and volunteers, including investigations as required. Ensure appropriate files and documentation regarding these incidents are maintained.
- Serve as a Denver Rescue Mission Safety Council member for the Ministry Outreach Center and execute all required duties.
Management and Other Responsibilities
- Oversee and monitor Denver Fleet Operations.
- Oversee the recruitment, selection, and hiring of staff in all areas of responsibility.
- Provide consultation and facilitation of high-impact continuous improvement projects, strategic initiatives, and success measurements.
- Administer the Mission cell phone program.
- Ensure that staff across all areas of responsibility provide exceptional service and support to Denver Rescue Mission staff and facilities
- Maintain clear and effective communication with the Vice President of Operations.
- Partner with Denver Rescue Mission departments to drive logistical support for events, drives, or other business needs, e.g., turkey drives, food drives, and other holiday events.
- B.A. degree in a related field or equivalent experience required.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to manage diverse processes within and across departments.
- Willingness to work weekends and evenings during Holiday Events or peak times.
- Willingness and ability to obtain a Used Car Salesperson License.
- Willingness and ability to become a Notary Public.
- Must possess a current Colorado driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Must desire to serve those in need in an unbiased and respectful manner.